Sunday, June 1, 2014

My First Prius, A Visit With Friends and My First Mountain

Let's just jump into it: the first 4 times I drove my Prius rental I had no idea how to turn it on. I basically just pressed buttons and fumbled with levers until it went. Things periodically lit up on the dash. The engine is silent so I didn't even know if it was on. I didn't know if it was on until I felt a slight forward motion. It was enjoyable to drive. But I guess that is relative to my 2003 Honda Civic.

After flying into Denver I had lunch with Will and Diane at a great mexican restaurant. It was just what I needed to get grounded and recharge my batteries. The happy hour margarita helped out a little too.

I was soon off to Este Park, CO. As I got closer to the mountains I realized something: this was probably the first time I've seen a mountain in real life this close up (at least that I can remember). I'll sum it up in one word: fucking vast. It took my breath away. It's something I'll remember forever.

I pulled over to stare for a bit (and took some pictures). But even as I got in my car and navigated through narrow canyon roads and narrow cliff side roads, I continued to stare. In retrospect it was kind of dangerous.

Well that's all for now. Up for tomorrow: a 9 mile hike in Rocky Mountain National Park and then a drive to the Grand Tetons. Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment